GPD XD - How to Install Roms ( Unbrick Method )
If you found yourself here then you most likely:
- Just bought your GPD XD and want to update your ROM
- Just got bored with your own ROM and want to change.
- Just bricked your GPD! (OMG halp).
So for whatever reason you are here, welcome. I will try to break this down to the most basic instructions and also offer up a short PRO form of the tutorial for those more experienced users.
Before you get started:
- Requires PC ( Batch tool is made for PC Only )
- This will reformat the GPD XD and data will get erased ( on device - not MicroSD card ) - If you want to keep data follow this guide ( Link )
- Download the ROM you wish to use.
- Download RockChip Driver Assistant.
- Download RockChip Batch Tool.
- Make sure your GPD XD is FULLY charged. ( This is just to be safe- if you stop mid-installation you may brick your device. Then you will have to charge your device and do it over again anyway. )
- Set up a project folder with all your downloads in it.
Extract Files: [Shown on video- time: 0:11 ] You should have your project folder setup with all your downloads inside of it. Right click your zips and click on "Extract Here". Do it for RockChip_DriverAssistant, RockChip_BatchTool zips, and your update image ( Firmware ).
Find DriverInstall.exe : [Shown on video- time: 0:20 ] Go into your DriverAssistant folder ( for me it is Temp/DriverAssistant_v4.3 ) and right click on DriverInstall.exe, then click on " Run as administrator ".
Uninstall Old Driver : [Shown on video- time: 0:27 ] Click on "Uninstall Driver". This is just to clear out old drivers if we have them installed already.
Install New Driver : [Shown on video- time: 0:32 ] Click on "Install Driver". This way we get the newest with the old driver cleared out.
Start Batch Tool : [Shown on video- time: 0:40 ] Go into your batch tool directory ( for me it is Temp/RockChip_Batch_Tool_v1.8 ) and right click on your RKBatchTool.exe, then click on " Run as administrator ".
Load your ROM : [Shown on video- time: 0:48 ] Click on the ... ( three periods - Browse button ) and navigate to your project folder where your ROM is located.This will have an .img extension. ( In the video I use xd_v3.4.9.img but I recommend using LegacyRom - listed in the downloads section of this tutorial ) Click on the ROM to load it. You should see it display Loading firmware ... then Loading firmware Finished.
Connect MicroUSB to PC : [Shown on video- time: 1:05 ] Make sure to connect the Micro USB to the PC first and ONLY the PC.
Connect MicroUSB to GPD XD : [Shown on video- time: 1:10 ] ( Your GPD XD must be totally powered off before you continue to this step ) Press and hold Vol+ on your GPD THEN plug in the MicroUSB to the back of your GPD XD. Once it is plugged all the way in you can release Vol+. This will put your GPD XD into "Flash Mode" and will enable you to install your rom. You will get verification of this when the Box with a 1 in it turns green [Shown on video- time: 1:20 ] . 1
Install ROM : [Shown on video- time: 1:25 ] Click on Upgrade . The Box with 1 in it will start flashing white and yellow and show the progress right below it. Wait until it is finished. You will get a message *** Upgrade Done Success **** [Shown on video- time: 1:32 ]
Enjoy your new ROM: You should now have a new rom.
- Install the latest USB drivers from the Download section below.
- Run Batch Tool.
- Load the Rom. ( the 3 periods icon ... )
- Connect the MicroUSB to PC first then hold Vol+ , then plug MicroUSB into GPD XD. Let go of Vol+.
- Click on Upgrade button in the BatchTool window.
If after your installation you start getting an error message " Unfortunately, System Update has stopped " here is a simple way to fix it.
[ YouTube Video ] If you need it.
- Go to Settings
- On the left menu find and tap on Apps under category Device.
- On the right side swipe left until you are in ALL
- Find and tap on System Update ( the blue one )
- Tap on Clear Data
- Exit back to Home Launcher
- Go into System Update ( blue one ) either through a shortcut on your Home Launcher ( if you have one ) or using App Drawer.
- Tap on Settings
- Untick all options to be safe.
- That should be it - Enjoy
Ads to support SectionEight
Legacy ROM variants: ( S8 Recommended ) - No Bloatware, Optimized.
( ** these are the NULL versions - latest release as of 4-17-17 ** )
- 1.4 ghz ( LegacyRom Firmware ) : Recommended for Novice/New Users.
- 1.6 ghz ( LegacyRom Firmware )
- 1.8 ghz ( LegacyRom Firmware ) : Recommended for experienced users. Best performance of ALL Roms. If you still want to take advantage of 1.8Ghz but are a novice/noob - Follow this guide : GPD XD - Novice Guide to Legacy Rom 1.8GHz
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.3.6
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.3.7
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.3.9
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.4.0
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.4.2 - ( S8 Recommended )
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.4.7
- GPD XD (Stock Firmware) 3.4.9
So what firmware do I choose?
My recommendation will always be LegacyRom , but the truth is not all users will need or want LegacyRom . I will try and break it down as best as I can.
Why install Stock Firmware
, Or not upgrade at all :
( If you do upgrade Stock Firmware, I suggest v3.4.2 - It has the best gfx drivers. )
- Ease of mind ( for the novice user ) : You don't have to install or risk anything, or just don't wanna mess with any of it. This is the main reason ppl use it. Simply not being experienced with flashing or Roms n whatnot.
- Stock firmware is super NOOB friendly.
- There are pre-installed emulators
- There are preinstalled games(roms)
- All settings are generally already tweaked for the device
- Gamepad that is attached to GPD is already configured for most emulators
- Plug-N-Play : As soon as you get your GPD XD you just start playing pretty much.
- Be Lazy : Let's not downplay this reason. It is a valid one. Why should you upgrade, and who is going to make you? NO ONE. I can relate ( but i am on LegacyRom - so yeh ) . So if you do not want to do anything different to the firmaware, DON'T. It works fine as is and wont break anything.
Why install Legacy Rom:
- Ease of mind: ( for experienced user ) The process to upgrade Stock Firmware or Legacy Rom is the exact same. Same risks are involved. The experienced user knows how hard it is to brick the GPD XD, and how easy it is to recover from it if you do.
- No Bloatware: Everything installed in your device by default. Most mobile devices have tons of bloatware like iCrap and samsung device. GPD doesn't have a ton of bloatware in comparison, but with Legacy Rom you have a chance to build up your setup from the ground up. Minimal, barebone rom for your convenience.
- Optimization for performance: Legacy Rom is optimized and streamlined to work best for the device and gaming in general. Skelton ( the developer ) built the kernel from scratch. Everything has been tweaked and some things have even been rewritten. Some emulators that are more device intensive like PPSSPP and reicast work better under Legacy.
- Root: Legacy Rom comes pre-rooted. This is a benefit for installing Legacy Rom but is not a big one because the process to root Stock Rom is super easy.
- Nexus 5 Spoof: Stock Firmware registers your device as GPD XD on the Google PlayStore as it should BUT this may create incompatability issues. This is not because the GPD XD is not capable of running the apps or games, but because the developers of these apps include all of the more common models and manufacturers in their compatability list. As a result some of those apps/games will not install or may not even show up on the market. Legacy Rom will register on the market as a Nexus 5 - a device that is parallel in capabilities but is better known in the market.
- Full CPU speed: From my understanding, the developers of the firmware wanted to be cautious and set the speeds for the cpu ( 1.4ghz ) lower than its intended speed ( 1.8ghz ). This is to prevent from the device from heating up too much and damage it. For this fact skelton built 3 versions of Legacy Rom:
- Legacy Rom 1.4ghz: Recommended for novice users that want to be cautious.
- Legacy Rom 1.6ghz: Runs more emulators/roms at better speeds and runs low risk of overheating.
- Legacy Rom 1.8ghz: Recommended for expert users. This is the Best Firmware for the GPD XD by far. Most people use this version and have an app like Set CPU or Kernel Adiutor to run it at 1.4ghz and only turn on for more demanding emulators like Dreamcast or PPSSPP . Just because it is recommended for expert users, it does not mean a novice user can not take advantage of this rom . Read the next section for a guide to help you.
If you are a Novice/Noob user and still want to use Legacy Rom 1.8GHz , I have made a tutorial to allow you to use it safely . Just follow this guide: GPD XD - Novice Guide to Legacy Rom 1.8GHz
These are all the reason I can come up with. If you have more please let me know.
In any case, my suggestion is to play with your GPD XD a while, and see what the stock rom offers. The methods for installing new Stock Firmware or Legacy Rom are easy and with minimal risk. Try them out see what you like. The GPD XD is an awesome device capable of doing so much. Have fun with it. The community for it is relatively small compared to the better known devices but I have found that they are all willing to help. If you have any more questions just ask here or at the following links:
- The information on Sectioneight.net is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions and downloads at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info on this site.
- Read and understand the related guides first before actually performing ANY instructions.